Monday 22 February 2016

My story, your story, our story - Malaysia Debate Open

Hye! We meet again here. Today I just want to share about my experience mingling with people from different culture and from different country. I am an English debater in International Islamic University Malaysia. I'm pretty sure you must be shocked if you see me in person. >.<

Ok.....Enough about me. I just want to share some pictures during Malaysia Debate Open. It is an Asian Parliamentary debate and open to everyone including internationals.


This is my Japanese friends. I can't really remember their names. Haha. Silly me. I can speak Japanese a little bit and they are so shocked and impressed when I speak Japanese with them. Well, knowing Japanese, they are so proud with their language. So, if you want impress them,try to speak in their mother tongue.


Haha. I am one of the adjudicators. This is my first time being an adjudicator and it is so challenging because I have to listen until all the speeches end (sigh) >.<


They are the winner for the tournament. The handsome guy at the right side is my debate trainer. His name is Syed Saddiq and he is quite famous today.


Well, in debate there are not so much formality and it's all about making friends and talk about current issues. If you want to be a debater, you need to know all of the current issues and you need to be critical in analyzing and you can't be bias. You will meet people from different culture and different background. You can't force them to fit into your culture but you have to respect other's culture and be open.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. Toodles.... >.< 


3 comments:

  1. I don't like Syed Saddiq. He must know that our Malaysian culture is not that into confrontation. As we value hierarchy so much, I think that is very much valued and unique. When a culture cherished hierarchy, that culture actually, indirectly knows its place in the world. I'll explain more on my blog about this, so stay tuned and visit ultramalaymen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (Afia) wish I was in your shoes. I would love to meet and communicate with other Japanese people besides my sensei. Like you, I know a little Japanese too. I just simply can't wait to apply it outside of the classroom. Alas, not many participants.

    On a side note, I have this Malaysian friend who is the Japanese walking dictionary and she maintains her Japanese online, probably with online friends who are Japanese or who speak Japanese. That shows you don't really need participants to be physically there in this time and age. But in your case, it is very beneficial if you keep in touch with your Japanese friends to not only keep sharing current issues, but also to improve your Japanese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above comment was from us. I forgot to log out of the account. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete